Proposal: Public release of Rubin data in the Euclid Deep Field South (EDF-S)

Rubin Observatory proposes to make its data products in the Euclid Deep Field South (EDF-S) publicly available, without data-rights restrictions. The primary motivation is to enable development of the pipelines, infrastructure and analyses needed for joint survey processing. The release has other benefits too, which are set out in full in the proposal in RTN-047.

The NSF and DOE have given provisional approval to the proposal, pending support from the Rubin science community. We invite your feedback here. The full proposal and justification presented to the agencies is given in RTN-047.

If you support this proposal, please add your name via this form so that I can demonstrate Rubin community support to the agencies: Support for Making EDF-S Fully Public (RTN-047)

17 Likes

This strikes me as an exceptionally good idea, clearly and succinctly promoted in RTN-047. Please adopt it!

1 Like

I second this proposal, it makes demonstrating pixel-level pipelines on joint data so much easier.

This would very useful and timely for the comming LINCC frameworks community events that have a significant fraction of non-data right holders (NDRHs) attendance, and so to be able to propose more ambitious projects for collaborations with them .

It seems more specifics are needed. Is this referring to the release of any EDF-S LSSTComCam or LSSTCam stacked imaging data as they become available to the LSST community? (e.g., DP1, EDP2, DR1, etc.)

And will the same commitment be made by the Euclid Consortium? (not only the Q1 data release but also the release of further visits to EDFS as soon as they are available to the EC, e.g. Level 2 imaging)

1 Like

A full technical definition will follow once we have agency approval.

The thinking is that we would start with releasing EDF-S DP2 data. There is no fundamental reason why we could not also release DP1 EDF-S data, other than the effort required vs the science impact. For future DRs (DR1, etc) the EDF-S data products will be released publicly ASAP following the release of the DR in which they are produced, with no separate release schedule. All data products will be included.

This proposal covers only Rubin data in the EDF-S field and does not concern Euclid data. Any decision on releasing Euclid data, is entirely a matter for the Euclid Consortium.

I have created a form for supporters of this proposal to sign: Support for Making EDF-S Fully Public (RTN-047). The signatures will help demonstrate Rubin community support to the agencies.

I am generally supportive of the proposal and see substantial scientific and community benefits to making the EDF-S data fully public. I do think, however, that two points are important conditions.

First, because a principal motivation is to facilitate joint Rubin-Euclid processing and analysis by the wider community, reciprocity from Euclid is important. Rubin is proposing to make its EDF-S data fully world-public on an ongoing basis; I would like to see a corresponding commitment from the Euclid Consortium covering the currently available EDF-S data as well as future EDF-S observations and data products.

Second, the EDF-S initiative should not divert significant resources from Rubin’s core data-processing and data-release deliverables. The proposal states that the EDF-S release “will not affect the Rubin Data Release schedule”; I think it is important that its implementation preserve that commitment.

1 Like

A small correction on the motivation: the aim is to facilitate joint processing of Rubin data with any other survey. Euclid is one of these, and Roman is equally important. The proposal therefore does not depend on reciprocity from Euclid,

EDF-S is a core component of every Rubin Data Release, so its data products are produced by regular Data Release Processing with no changes to processing needed.

Thanks, Leanne. To be clear, I understood that reciprocity is not a prerequisite of the Rubin proposal, and that EDF-S is processed through the regular Data Release Processing. My comments were intended to identify conditions I would like to see for my support of the initiative.

1 Like

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for the update. I know, we have formed the Rubin-Euclid Derived Data Products (DDPs) Working Group. One of the requirements that affects many sciences is the joint data processing at a pixel level, which certainly requires the access to both datasets. My understanding is that this group will work on the data once they have an access. Is this proposal not coordinated with this working group?

Are you referring to the Rubin-Euclid DDP Implementation Working Group (IWG)?

yes, I believe so although I don’t know the exact name…

Then no, this is independent of their work, although that work would also benefit from this proposal.

I see. Then is it a realistic scenario that at the time when Rubin makes the EDFs data public, Euclid EDFs data is already released and publicly available from the Euclid consortium?

I cannot answer that question, I have no influence over the Euclid Consortium’s data release schedule.

Thanks. I have a better understanding of this proposal.

1 Like

Euclid will be making a public data release (their DR1) in November. This will include data on the EDFs.

2 Likes

I second this idea that I would like to see a similar level of commitment from Euclid to support this proposal.

1 Like